Together over the last 20 years, they have traveled to over 70 countries. Again, I could have eaten a dozen of the truffled brioche. Escabeche is normally fish prepared in vinegar and often colored with peppers or saffron. Learn how your comment data is processed. The dish exuded flavors of Spain, Thailand, and even Hong Kong. Langoustine with sagebrush, vanilla oil, and rose butter. Together, Amber and Eric seek new adventures in food travel. Some restaurants do and some don’t and I’m wondering what El Celler de Can Roca’s policy is? We will most likely return later this year. . Rejecting these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. In this case, it was the sorbet palate cleanser of the Can Roca snack menu. Just a €30 increase over the 2017 Can Roca menu pricing. Several dishes on the 2019 menu seem new, as well as all of the Jordi Roca desserts. These cookies do not store any personal information. surreal dining experience at El Celler De Can Roca. Benvinguts. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona: See 3,006 unbiased reviews of El Celler de Can Roca, rated 5 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #1 of 477 restaurants in Girona. If you can spend €450 or €670 (with wine) for a dinner for 2 you can also leave a €50 tip. Welcome. I am not sure about splitting a wine pairing, but perhaps email the restaurant to ask. The benefits of living in Girona. Bear with me. Reservations open about 11 months in advance and sell out almost immediately. I do not regret spending the money we did on the meal. These last two tapas, again, are very traditional dishes in Catalonia. Cuttlefish with sake lees, black rice sauce, and fermented rice. 30 Köche kochen für 45 Gäste. Yes, it looked, and in some ways, tasted like the forest. In this case, the tiny bonbon was hidden under a green moss. Book on Booking.com | Book on Hotels.com | Rates From $105, Hotel Museu Llegendes de Girona, unique hotel at the edge of the Girona Old Town, with a penchant for romance. During 2018, El Celler de Can Roca raised its standing in the World’s 50 Best claiming the number 2 spot, behind Massimo Botturra’s Osteria Francescana in Modena. Check out more tips in our Ultimate Spain Food Guide – How To Travel in Spain. The El Celler de Can Roca Menu: Meat. Autenticitat, audàcia, generositat i hospitalitat. Orange colorology, made only with orange colored products, even including beetroot and carrot. That means a full Can Roca experience was about €300 per person. The fish was prepared well, as were the vegetables. 2019 Update: The Tribute to the Mediterranean has been a Can Roca specialty for many years, and is one of their signature dishes. The oyster itself was tender and tasted like the sea. The meat courses started with a slow-cooked Iberian suckling pig, with a salad of green papaya, Thai grapefruit, apple, coriander, chili pepper, lime, and cashew. The butter was so creamy, it tasted like a butter cookie. Roots: Essential catalan cuisine according to El Celler de Can Roca (Cooking Librooks), The Desserts of Jordi Roca: Over 80 Dessert Recipes Conceived in EL CELLER DE CAN ROCA, Ferran: The Inside Story of El Bulli and the Man Who Reinvented Food, 23 of The Best Tapas in Seville Spain – A Tapas Sevilla Guide, The Food Traveler’s Guide to The Costa Brava. El Celler de Can Roca ist ein preisgekröntes, katalanisches Restaurant in Girona. The remaining 15 or so courses were each served with a wine selected by Josep Roca, and served by our sommelier for the evening, Robert. Most restaurants of this caliber wouldn’t have the menu listed. The glittering silver coral included two different tapas. As for the substance, the Celler Can Roca menu adjusts seasonally, but many of the dishes discussed above remain unchanged, at least in theory. But, at restaurants like Can Roca, people do often tip for the service. No, there wouldn’t be. The mackerel combined with the white beans is a very Catalan inspired dish. Your email address will not be published. Next, lamb four ways. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. June is not as hot in Girona as it is in Barcelona or southern Spain. Our final two snacks on the Can Roca menu in included a truffled brioche, and a St. George’s mushroom bonbon. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona: 3.005 Bewertungen - bei Tripadvisor auf Platz 1 von 477 von 477 Girona Restaurants; mit 5/5 von Reisenden bewertet. The cuttlefish was essentially stuffed with the lees, or the residual yeast resulting from the fermentation process. Enjoy! I can’t drink too much but I love tasting the wine selections. The three-dimensional diorama held another 5 little snack bites, including: Breaded squid, which was topped with a crunchiness, reminiscent of a squid served a la Romana or fried similar to a calamari, Pork kidneys with Sherry, in a packaging that could have been a peanut. This was one of the more surprising dishes for me on the El Celler de Can Roca menu, mostly because I don’t like onions, but still loved it. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Octopus and peas are often served with pork or black sausage. We started with white asparagus with ice cream, elderflower foam, and dried apricot, although not as beautiful as many of the other courses, being a white on white dish. I can imagine that the menu changes often and we like a bit of surprise in the menu. El Celler de Can Roca Price 2019: The price increased for both the Can Roca tasting menu and wine pairings. That’s actually a great question. For people who don’t eat like this regularly, it’s certainly something special. The bonbon was shaped like a mushroom and tasted like a mushroom, but was not exactly a mushroom. Thus, as of the summer of 2019, Can Roca is no longer “officially” one of the World’s 50 Best. We don’t generally tip at all in Spain. The ocean came next on the Celler Can Roca menu, with a brightly colored starfish, served on a plank, alongside a large silver coral shaped serving apparatus, seemingly growing up from the table. I live in the States, so we tend to think percentage based on level of service, but I know it’s different when abroad. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Yes, the wine pours are smaller than a normal glass, but you end up being served quite a bit of wine before the end of the meal. The menu changes regularly, based on seasonal ingredients, and whether the diner is a repeat guest of the restaurant. Charcoal grilled lamb consommé, with lamb’s tongue, vinaigrette, and lamb scratching with lamb brain and tripe. It was served with comte cheese, with walnuts, walnut bread, and curry-caramelized walnuts. I continued to enjoy the use of local ingredients to make a very traditional dish but in an entirely new way. The service was amazing so we left €50 tip Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Book this Volcanoes Hot Air Balloon Tour. Learn More About Joan Roca: For more on Joan Roca, the Roca Brothers restaurant, and his contemporary Catalan cuisine, read El Celler De Can Roca, available on Amazon. In 2019, they offer a similar concept but have changed the presentation to include a globe that is set on the table with the tasty bites surrounding the globe. Although, the fermented bean also gave it an Asian-inspired flavor, similar to a miso. Bienvenidos. You can walk from Girona in about 20 minutes or a taxi is less than €10. I hope it is amazing. The other alternative is a tasting of their classic menu. Essentially Iberian pork, with a Thai twist. Then, the dessert cartwheeled by, reminding me of a circus carnival. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Pouilly Fuisse, La Rioja Alta 904 Gran reserva 1997 D.O.Ca Rioja, Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg Spatlese 2010 VDP Mosel, Matias y Torres 2012 Malvasia D.O. Essentially different parts, and different preparations, all of the lamb, and each entirely earthy. Hi, my husband and me had the best dinner ever in Can Roca january this year This is a very traditional Catalan dish as well. The classic tasting menu was €180, and €55 for the wine pairing. There is also a “surprise” inside the globe. There is a waitlist as well. Looking for More Luxury Experiences in the Costa Brava: Book a traditional Catalan cooking class (from $95), book a Costa Brava wine tasting tour (from $148), or a hot air balloon ride and breakfast over the mountains (from $237). Wondering what it’s like to take a hot air balloon ride in the Costa Brava, check this out: Learn More About Ferran Adria: For more on Ferran Adria and his legacy in Catalonia and around the world, read Ferran: The Inside Story of El Bulli and the Man Who Reinvented Food, available on Amazon. Each bean is fermented a different length of time, from 1 to 4 weeks. If you have any Girona questions, let us know. This was the only disappointing dish of the entire 30 courses. Looking for culinary adventure during a trip to Girona? The El Celler de Can Roca Menu Price 2017: The Feast Menu at Can Roca was €205. It’s possible that ingredients will alter for dishes like the starfish, which remains on the menu. Hello. The goal is to eat the beans from light to dark. Your email address will not be published. Occasionally people have luck with taking advantage of last-minute cancellations, but it is rare. But, it reminded me of boquerones, also served in tangy vinegar. Beautifully prepared, like artwork on the plate, as if the pigeons themselves were flying through the air. I have, though, received the inside scoop on the Celler de Can Roca menu for 2019. El Celler de Can Roca is located on Can Sunyer, 48, just outside of the city center of Girona, about 90 minutes outside of Barcelona. Hotel Carlemany, centrally located hotel with a large patio bar, just a 5 minute walk to Girona Old Town. Turbot with vegetables fermented in brine. Enjoy your meal and your time in Girona. How about a morning hot air balloon ride with brunch? Mackerel with tempeh of “ganxet” beans, fermented beans from nearby Garrotxa. This course was paired not only with a sweet wine but also with a Panamanian coffee. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona: 2.999 Bewertungen - bei Tripadvisor auf Platz 1 von 474 von 474 Girona Restaurants; mit 5/5 von Reisenden bewertet. The starfish was unlike anything I’d eaten before and can only be described as tasting of the sea. Book on Booking.com | Rates From $110. Das Restaurant. Continua en viva evolució des de fa més de 30 anys, amb una rutina on la repetició és bellesa i la innovació cadència. Manzanilla en Rama Barbiana D.O. I have a reservation for El Cellar in June 2020 and guess the weather will be quite hot when we are there, what is the dress code for the restaurant – for example would tailored shorts be acceptable? Check out our recommendations for 8 unforgettable luxury experiences in Costa Brava. In this case, it was slightly less acidic and prepared in an Albarinho wine from Galicia. The cuttlefish was essentially stuffed with the lees, or the residual yeast resulting from the fermentation process. In this case, a single oyster was sliced into 5 parts, each served differently. I think it depends on your dining experiences. Others have disagreed. Being a menu born out of the Costa Brava, there were a lot of fish courses on the El Celler de Can Roca menu. And, I did the best I could with photos considering the lighting, and I did not want to disturb the diners nearby. For example, in the winter, Can Roca offers calcots, a true Catalan experience. Each olive came on a tiny silver spike, engraved with the Roca brothers signature “R” with three feet, one for each brother. The tasting menu is about 7 courses, where you have a choice for two of the courses. The cookies we use at www.cellercanroca.com differ between 1) those required for the operation of the website, which are stored in your browser necessarily as they are essential for the operation of the Website, and 2) third party cookies that help us to analyze and understand how you use the Website and are stored in your browser only with your consent. The lees came from a sake actually made in Catalonia, in Lleida, from rice that has been polished in Japan. Dinner reservations are normally around 830pm, with dinner starting around 9pm and ending around midnight or 1 am, which is typical in Spain. Authenticity, generosity and hospitality. As much as there is no dress code, many men will wear sports coats and dress pants or a dress shirt and pants. I will admit that we have not returned to El Celler de Can Roca in 2019 (yet). Servers are not paid a lower rate here as they are in the US. And, to some extent, a bit of a surprise on arrival. Autenticidad, generosidad y hospitalidad. The final meat course. What is the tipping etiquette when dining at such an exclusive restaurant? The kidneys had a nutty, earthy flavor, Campari bonbon, which I could have eaten a dozen of, was a cool explosion of Campari liquor, which we were warned to eat in one bite, Montse’s meat cannelloni, with Parmigiano Reggiano, named after the matriarch of the Roca family, Pigeon parfait, with an intense cream liquor. El Celler de Can Roca is the most definitive - yet, never fully finished- project of the Roca brothers. She lives with her husband, Eric, in Girona, Catalonia, Spain. Check out our post on the surreal experience of dining at Can Roca. Sanlucar de Barrameda, Regnard Grand Premier Cru Montee de Tonnerre 2000 A.O.C. With over 70 countries and counting, Amber travels With Husband In Tow. This dish is altered for the seasons based on which truffle is available for that season. It tasted like warm comfort . Of course, we went all in. The wine pairing goes with small glasses I think? Pigeon civet and its parfait, stewed in wine and spices, along with a slow-cooked pigeon breast, and pigeon foie gras. El Celler de Can Roca es el proyecto más definitivo pero nunca terminado de los hermanos Roca. Truffled brioche made with summer truffle and prepared in an Asian dumpling steamer. I wrote about our surreal dining experience at El Celler De Can Roca. The final dessert from the tasting menu was the Cuban cigar box, including chocolate with milk, whiskey, vanilla, dried plum, tobacco leaf, and cocoa. This was a contemporary version of a French onion soup, with onions served in a bowl of strong cheese soup. 2019 Update: This “World” presentation has been fairly consistent since our first visit to Can Roca in 2015. Der Guide Michelin hat ihm drei Sterne verliehen. Instead, it had the consistency of chocolate. La Palma. The meat courses started with a slow-cooked Iberian suckling pig, with a salad of green papaya, Thai grapefruit, apple, coriander, chili pepper, lime, and cashew. How often do we sit down to drink a 20-year-old Rioja, or a 17-year-old French Chablis? Find more info in my DISCLAIMER. *This post contains compensated links. I practically licked the bowl clean. Amber Hoffman, food and travel writer behind With Husband In Tow, is a recovering attorney and professional eater, with a passion for finding new Food and Drink Destinations. Palamos red prawn marinated with rice vinegar, in prawn’s head sauce, with crispy prawn legs, seaweed volute, and phytoplankton brioche. The World includes dishes from Thailand, Japan, Korea, Peru, and Turkey. As of August 2019, the Celler Can Roca menu, the Feast Menu, is €215 and the wine pairing is €110. They were light and creamy. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Each olive offered an explosion (a word I kept using while dining at Can Roca) of cool olive flavor. We chose the Feast Menu, with about 15 named courses. The price difference between the two Can Roca menus is not extreme. But, I wanted to dive more into the menu items, for the true food lovers out there. Required fields are marked *. Congrats on getting the reservation! Chablis, Heymann-Lowenstein Uhlen L 2012 Magnum VDP Mosel, Domaine Valette Tradition 2012 AO.C. The mackerel itself looked like a beautiful shimmering snakeskin. Rainy forest, distillate water, carob cookie, fir tree dust, ice cream of anise, wormwood, fennel, and fir tree and fir tree granita. Muntatge fotogràfic d'un menú festival d'El Celler de Can Roca (29 de maig de 2010) We started with The World, a paper lantern, ceremoniously untied at the table, and opened to reveal 5 bites reminiscent of flavors from all over the globe. We are making a day trip from Barcelona and therefore have to make it back to Barcelona after dinner. The brains? Enjoy! We live there. Thanks! When the distillate water was poured in, it created a crystal which stood up straight in the air. To protect your privacy, before continuing we want to make sure that you know that we use "cookies" on the web to improve your reading experience. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. There is not a menu on the website of El Celler nor a wine list? Congrats on the reservation! Per consultes o canvis de reserves ja confirmades ens pot contactar bé per telèfon +34 972 222 157 de dimarts a dissabtes del 10 a 18 hores, o bé per email, restaurant@cellercanroca.com Thank You. Amber is the author of the Food Traveler’s Guide to Emilia Romagna. It changes with the seasons, adjusts for repeat visitors, vegetarians, etc. First, a mussel served escabeche-style, which is a common fish presentation along the Mediterranean. What I enjoyed most about the Can Roca wine pairing menu was the inclusion of many Spanish wines, as well as sneaking in an Emporda bottle too! You just don’t know how wonderful and helpful this read was. We were able to make a reservation next month, very much looking forward to it. The last train to Barcelona is normally around 9pm or 10 pm. The Classic Can Roca menu is currently €190 and the wine pairing for the Classic menu increased to €75. The darker the bean on the plate, the longer it was fermented. with truffle. Servers do like tip here, as they do everywhere Because of the high number of different glasses at the feast menu. Essentially Iberian pork, with a Thai twist. The lees came from a sake actually made in Catalonia, in Lleida, from rice that has been polished in Japan. On the menu, it reads “green olive ice cream.” But, they were hard frozen ice cream, flavored and shaped like olives, and then hung delicately on an olive tree. We also include an update at the bottom about the El Celler de Can Roca Menu 2019. For me, it was worth the price to try so many wines I never would have tried before. During our snacks, essentially the 16 starter courses before heading into the main menu, we enjoyed a few glasses of cava from nearby Penedes. Currently, they still offer this snack but have added crunchy tempura black olives to the tree. El Celler de Can Roca és el projecte més definitiu però mai acabat dels germans Roca. I will be spending my 40th in Sapin and have a reservation there in August, so this was extremely helpful! Do you know if they allow patrons to split a wine pairing? We also share our passion for all things pork, wine, coffee, and that includes how to enjoy food and drink at home and around the world. Im Dutch, live in Spain half the year Per garantir la seva reserva serà necessari facilitar una targeta de crèdit o dèbit. . My advice: go for the Can Roca Feast Menu! After our tour of the sea, we enjoyed the famous Can Roca olive tree. The bill was €440 (we do not drink alcohol) We travel on our stomachs. One of the best things to eat alongside a cold vermouth is a vinegary, almost pickled mussel. Smoky and creamy, and downright delicious. One of the more beautiful desserts served on a decadent golden hued plate. In this food and travel blog, we share tips and advice on culinary vacations, foodie vacations, cooking classes, and more. The Palamos prawn is a DOP or a registered product from Costa Brava. If you want to know more, you can read our. Due to recent changes in the World’s 50 Best awards system, restaurants that ranked number 1 in the past will no longer be eligible to compete starting in 2020. This presentation is called “Memories of a bar in the suburbs of Girona, a reference perhaps to the family’s traditional restaurant, just around the corner from El Celler de Can Roca, Restaurant Can Roca. Next, on the Can Roca menu came oyster with fennel sauce, black garlic, apple, seaweed, truffles, and lemon. It’s not part of the culture. El nou període de reserves s’obre a les zero hores, 00:00 am hora local, del primer dia de cada mes. The menu items included above are from the 2017 Can Roca menu. I have a reservation in July of 2020 and this was so very helpful. The asparagus was tasty, and in season. It was disappointing only in its, well, “normalness.” It just seemed out of place with the creativity of all of the other courses. The opposite to the white asparagus dish, the flower of onion (from nearby Figures) was visually stunning. The wine pairing menu was €90. Book on Booking.com | Book on Hotels.com | Rates From $90, Hotel Nord 1901, centrally located hotel with a pool in Girona Old Town and close to Placa Independencia. In this case, our world included: From Thailand, Thai chicken, with coriander, coconut, curry, and lime, From Japan, miso cream with nyinyonyaki, the Can Roca version of a fried, breaded snack, From Turkey, focaccia with lamb, yogurt, cucumber, onions, and mint, From Peru, a Causa limeña, or a potato-based bite with avocado, From Korea, a panko fried bread, with bacon, soy sauce, kimchi, and sesame oil. The Can Roca Feast Menu with wine pairing. This dish paired with a Manzanilla wine, a strong, unfiltered wine to offset the cheese and onion. Although, the dish was served with a Japanese sake. It is better to stay in Girona or to request a lunch time reservation. The dish exuded flavors of … It’s a great way to taste a lot of wines that you might not otherwise think to drink. The next snack was a Can Roca-themed diorama, with black and white photos of each Roca brother when they were young. It was one of the best dining experiences we’ve ever had. I’m curious. Here is a recap of the over 30 different courses and bites we had during our 4 hour El Celler de Can Roca menu, in Girona Spain. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Can Roca continues to have the starter that is an homage to the old family bar. Even dishes that have the same names as they did on for our Can Roca menu have either slight or major differences on the El Celler de Can Roca 2018 menu. Hi, ma y I know what time does dinner start please? I don’t think it needs to be a percentage, but for a meal for two, perhaps €20 is sufficient. I think thats only far and it was well appreciated Cuttlefish with sake lees, black rice sauce, and fermented rice. We choose a couple of different bites, and when we wanted a few more, even after 30 courses, our server happily complied. Thank you so much for this. And, they stuck a unique sake in there as well! Reservations are required, months and months in advance! What I enjoyed most about the Can Roca wine pairing menu was the inclusion of many, Check out our Ultimate Guide to Girona Restaurants, Everything You Need To Know About Can Roca, El Celler De Can Roca Menu And Pricing- 2019 Can Roca Menu. Alongside the mussel was an octopus from nearby Maresme, cooked with peas. We needed to break open the orb, to reveal the little bits of orange inside. I would not recommend shorts, though, as it might be too causal. Hopefully, there are still train services available. For the winophiles out there, here are the wines we tasted as part of the wine pairing menu. Again, the flavors of this dish were very “of the sea.”. I really do not like onions, but I devoured every bit of onion before me. Das Restaurant wird seit 1986 von den drei Brüdern Joan, Chef de Cuisine, Jordi, für die Desserts zuständig, und Josep Roca, Sommelier, betrieben.